Just Trust Me - 2


CHAPTER 2



Throwback





July 1997


Twelve year old Arjun grumbled slightly as his mother reminded him “Tiffin ko poora khaana! Aur haan, Raj ke notebook return karna mat bhoolna.  Aur iss baar baarish main bahar mat khelna, zukaam lag gaya toh!”





Theek hai aai!” Arjun rolled his eyes as he hopped on to the bus.


“Love you beta.” His mother waved her hand and Arjun couldn’t help but give his best smile to her. Tugging on his bag he walked towards his regular seat to find it occupied.


“This is my seat.” Arjun tapped the girl’s shoulder and she looked at him, frightened. He stepped back as he noticed big fat tears rolling down her cheeks. She held on to her bag tightly and looked around, mumbling a sorry she tried to get up when the bus jerked.


Arjun held the little girl’s arms and steadied her. Whispering a thank you she tried to move when he asked “New student?” The neat oiled braids and prim uniform spoke so.


She nodded vigorously and wiped her tears with the kerchief pinned to the pinafore. “Do you have any friends out here, next to whom you can sit?” He asked, trying to sound as gentle as possible as the girl stared at him with her huge eyes and nodded in negative, fresh tears pouring down her cheeks.


“Don’t cry.” Arjun groaned.


The girl cried harder.


“Sit next to me.” Arjun said while the girl’s eyes shined. “Really?” her sweet voice asked back.


“Yeah.”


“Thank you.” She chirped and sat next to him.


Five minutes were spent in complete awkwardness as neither said anything to the other.


“I am Arjun Rawte, grade 7 E.”  


The girl looked at his extended hand and hesitantly placed her hand in his.


“My name is Riya Mukherjee, 6 A.”


----


July 1999


“I am not talking to you, katti.” Riya turned aside while Arjun wiped his mud stroked hand on his pants.


“Arjun don’t put muddy hands on your pants! Aunty ne kya kaha tha?”  Riya admonished him and continued to eat her sandwich with vengeance.


Badi aai aunty ki bacchi.


“That makes me your sister.” Riya raised her eyebrows. Arjun looked back, horrified by the idea “No way! And see, what can I do if someone sat there by mistake?”


“Really, of course, school’s most beautiful student,  Radhika, sat next to you and you couldn’t even say it’s reserved for your best friend. Yehi thi teri dosti!” Riya huffed and turned around, her braid slapping his face.


“Riya I couldn’t refuse her! And it seems very impolite to do so.” Arjun reasoned and jogged next to an angry Riya.


“From now on I will definitely not sit next to you! Make Radhika, Simran, Tusshar and everybody in this world sit next to you but main tere saath kabhi nahi beithne waali!”


Arjun watched in dismay as she trotted off to her class, wiping her tears on the way… her tears, he couldn’t bear them!


Against the entire speech Riya made, the afternoon bus had another scenario.  Riya was sitting well next to Arjun, licking her fingers covered in melted Cadbury chocolate. “Khush?” Arjun asked, wiping her cheeks with his hanky with affection.


“Mmm… but promise kar, you’ll never give my place to anyone! Pinky promise!” Riya hooked her pinky finger with his as Arjun smiled back “I cross my heart and swear to die!” She chuckled and shook her head “Kaha se dialogue chori ki?”


July 2003


“I do love nothing in the universe as well as you- is not that strange?” Arjun watched on as Karan, being Benedick, bowed before Beatrice Riya.


“Stop! Karan it’s nothing in the world so well as and not nothing in the universe as well as you.” Mrs. D’Souza mumbled while Riya chuckled slightly, this was the fifth time Karan had stumbled upon.


“Everyone! Stop giggling! Annual concert is within one week and you’re stumbling and replacing the dialogues at your own whim! Fifteen minutes break, when we’re back I don’t want any mistakes… is that clear?” Riya bit her lip to stop her giggle and nodded solemnly.


She turned behind and her eyes lit up on spotting Arjun. “Hey!”


Arjun was a little surprised as he saw the blush when she took his hand and dragged him away from the other juniors who “oohed” and “aahed” over him. “How’s first year of college going? I still can’t believe that I got the role of Beatrice! Pata hai I was so fu***ng nervous! But I would have battled anyone had she tried to be Beatrice!”


“RIYA! Language!” Arjun admonished while Riya shook her head “And why wouldn’t you have got the role. That shy little girl has metamorphosed into this ambitious sarvagun samparna!” He winked while Riya slapped his arm. “Kuch bhi.”


“But Riya, on a serious note, I really think you are focusing way too much on extracurriculars and social life. I mean, this over competitive streak isn’t too  good. Badalna accha hai aur zaroori bhi, but this new set of friends you have aren’t exactly the best.”


Riya just hummed and tucked further into pizza. “You know last night we had dinner at Pizza Hut, benefit yeh ki tiffin main mujhe pizza milta hai!”  


“By the way, are you coming for the socials? Please aaja. I have no one to be with. You’re a proud alumni of this school and they will allow you, trust me! And just imagine Riya Mukherjee walking in with the ex Headboy of the School who is none other than her best friend… eeks!” Riya giggled while Arjun raised his eyebrows “That’s what makes a difference for you?”


Riya pulled her now layered hair into a pony and leaned into his ear “Boss, faide ke liye dost na banaya toh zindagi fizool hai!”  Arjun looked at Riya for a few seconds and then burst into laughter while Riya shook her head “Dude, no matter what I do or become, you’ll always be special… samjhe ya samjhaaun?”


Arjun gave her a mock salute and turned to leave “By the way, when should I pick you up for our social ‘date’?”


Riya’s mouth hung open “Chee! It’s NOT a date. Around 5 PM?”


At the socials, 8 PM.


Riya’s palm still rested on Arjun’s shoulder as she leaned against his chest, swaying gently to the romantic tune.


“Riya?” Arjun called.


“Hmm….” She replied, intertwining her fingers with his.


“You’re beautiful.”


“Thanks, so are you…” She shyly giggled, feeling dazed with the surge of emotions.


“Am beautiful?” Arjun quirked an eyebrow while Riya slapped his chest “Uff, you physical abuser!” He mocked pain while Riya slapped his chest, again.


“Yes you are beautiful.”  


Arjun shook his head and led her away into their deserted school garden. Wrapping his coat around her shoulders, he tucked a curled strand of hair behind her ears. “You mean a lot to me Riya, honestly speaking…”


Riya’s heart fluttered as she heard, her poor ribs ached from the heartbeat and she was sure to have resigned her life and Arjun walked closer and closer to her.


“Do I…”


“You do… too…” Riya whispered and wrapped her arms around his neck, her eyes shut with anticipation.


Hamesha?” Arjun asked while a nervous Riya nodded vigorously “Always.”


“May I?” Arjun groaned in a painful whisper, waiting for Riya to give him the signal.


“Please…” She mumbled back and gave a sudden gasp as his lips met hers.


Warm


Soft


Drugging


Hands flew to waist and hair, unexperienced lips captured each other again and again, desires shot through their innocent bodies and they couldn’t have had enough.


“I love you.” Arjun nuzzled against her ear when Riya hugged him tighter, to pause and slap his chest.


Ab kya!” He asked, surprised. “Isn’t that supposed to be before the kiss?


July 2005



“Hello!”


“Arjun! Raat ke dhai baje!” Riya groaned as she answered her call. “Get up lazy pants! I am here, tere ghar ke neeche.”


“WHAT! I mean… what?” Riya gasped and shot out of her bed, not before fixing her hair and adding a quick coat of gloss on her lips.


“I need to show you something.” Arjun waved at her while an astounded Riya gaped further.


“Can’t show aise hi, andar toh bula!”


Few minutes later, hiding in her bedroom Arjun proceeded to take off his jacket. “Arjun.. ww.. what are you doing. Not that I mind but I think it’s too early…”


“Shut up, guttermind!” Arjun rolled his eyes at Riya’s obvious meaning and lifted his shirt slightly, lowering his waistline as Riya gasped.


Inhibitions forgotten, she proceeded to touch his skin. Her eyes watered as her fingers ran over the intricate design inked on him.


R


July 2007


“Happy Anniversary Love!” Arjun smeared the chocolate cake on her face while friends cheered on.


“Four years of Arjun and Riya!” Riya smeared his cheeks while Arjun protested “Ten! I think I fell in love with you the day I saw you, otherwise from when does Arjun Rawte like to give seats to random people.”


“Love at first sight! Babe, you couldn’t have got cheesier than this!” Riya giggled at his annoyed expression.


“Alright love birds, why don’t we announce a good news. For graduate school Riya has got into New York University - Tisch School of Arts with seventy five percent scholarship! How cool is that!” Karan smiled while the rest cheered.


Arjun’s smile remained stagnant and he turned to Riya. “You didn’t tell me you’re applying abroad.”


“You’re not happy by my achievement?” Riya furiously whispered. “Love no, you know very well that I am looking forward to your achievement in theater but you could have done that here… in India. You didn’t even bother to tell me that you’ll be away in another country for two years!” Arjun looked at her, hurt by her ignorance.


“Arjun, don’t create a scene… we will talk later.” Riya muttered back, holding back her tears.


Arjun’s apartment, 11 PM.


“YOU DIDN’T EVEN TELL ME YOU’RE FREAKING APPLYING FOR THE STATES! DO YOU KNOW THE IMPLICATIONS? WE’LL BE GOING INTO A LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP FOR PETE’S SAKE!” Arjun blasted at Riya who flung the plates to the floor.


Chillana mujhe bhi aati hai Arjun!” Riya snapped back. “I wanted to give you a surprise and tell you when it’s finalised! I had no idea that Simran would tell Karan and he would tell everyone!”


“Simran? You could tell her but not to the man who wants to spend his entire life with you!” Arjun asked, gnashing his teeth to reign control over his anger.


“You’re just like every other man, right?” Her broken voice hurt Arjun. “You don’t want me to excel in life right? You want me to be tied around you with a leash… please Arjun this is my future, my dream!”


“Baby I am so proud of you for this… but what about our future? Our relationship?” Arjun asked, wiping Riya’s tears “I can’t live without you.”


Toh dekh lenge na yaar! We aren’t the first couple to be in a long distance relationship. Where’s that Arjun who wanted my success? This possessive, selfish Arjun wasn’t the boy I loved.” Riya cried and hugged him.


“I thought that you’ll be proud and happy that I could succeed in my life, on my own. You know that I never had a father, maa’s been working all day long to make me where I am. I thought tum mere saath doge par tum toh…”  Arjun felt himself fill with guilt and he embraced her, tighter.


Her tears, that was something he could never bear.


“Sorry jaan, I… I messed it up. It’s just that I am scared to live without you Riya. Main nahi chahta ki tum itni tez bhago zindagi main ki humara saath hi choot jaye.”  


“I understand, it’s my fault for not letting you into my decisions. Forgive me Arjun?” Riya hiccuped and half smiled as he kissed her gently “We’re both at fault, now let’s forget all this and complete our little celebration? After all my life partner has got such a great taste of success!”


“Life partner?” Riya gaped at Arjun as he showed her a little box. “Karegi shadi?”


Tears filled in her eyes “Sss… solitaire? For me? Ring finger… wife… oh hell yeah!” Riya jumped and slipped the ring.


“It’s not the real thing, give me a bit more time for that; but, the vows are true. Not now, ten years down the line I see ourselves as Mr. and Mrs. Rawte.” Arjun rest his forehead on hers as Riya nodded and pecked him gently, wrapping her legs around his hips.


“Baby stop… I won’t be able to… ” He was stopped by her lips “Don’t stop… I want it. Please.”


Souls met as they claimed each other.


January 2008


“Hey Ri! How’s uni going?” Arjun yawned at the mid of night, keeping his skype open.


“Arjun you have no idea how interesting it is! And it’s so cold! I think my nose will fall off because of the cold…”


Arjun and Riya chatted for hours, kissed and whispered sweet nothings to each other before he hit the bed just before dawn broke.


March 2008


“Arjun do you know I’ve been recommended by my professor for a prestigious theatre house during spring break! And… ” Riya gushed excitedly while Arjun lend his ears, joining in her excitement.


“Accha baby listen, do you know today I’ll  be heading out to give my interview at CBI.” Arjun tapped his hands nervously.


“Don’t worry, you’ll ace it. Okay Arjun I’ll leave now, bye bye… love you.” Riya cancelled the call before Arjun could talk to her further.


“Well wasn’t I busy during my graduate school years!” He chuckled.


May 2008


“Riya I tried to contact you since one week, kaha thi tum yaar?” Arjun complained as Riya rolled her eyes. “Arjun I had immense pressure this week hence I couldn’t make it. Anyways the week was stressful and upar se tum ho ki…”


“Okay sorry… by the way my training is going on well now. Hopefully I should be getting the final job!” Arjun smiled. “That’s interesting. Nice to know… arrey isse yaad aaya… remember about my spring internship?”


“Yeah…”


“Baby they’ve decided to take me in once my graduate school completes! I don’t know how I forgot to tell you this!” Riya jumped while Arjun congratulated her.


He did feel hurt that she didn’t ask too much about him, but hey… if he won’t listen to her, who will?


July 2008


“Hi, how’s work going?” Riya asked, packing her bag.


“Going good, how are you?” “Am fine love.” Riya replied.


“Just give me a minute…” Riya slipped on her jacket and held her phone. “Yep, am fine.”


Kahi jaa rahi ho?” Arjun asked. “Yeah, voh I made some really good friends out here and we’re going to celebrate national day holidays at Vegas, exciting na!” Riya chirped while Arjun frowned.


“Las Vegas? Who are these friends Riya? Will it be safe going there during holidays, Riya many things happen out there…” Arjun spoke, concerned of her safety.


“Arjun oh Arjun, stop being the typical Indian possessive boyfriend. You should be more like these guys, more open and accommodating! Aur main thodi na akele jaa rahi hoon!  Akash, Michael, Samantha, Nikita and Greg will be there with me.” Riya chuckled and applied her gloss.


Arjun on the other hand was feeling very queasy. Not only was Riya going to Las Vegas all alone, she was accompanied with people she barely knew for months. He wasn’t a hypocrite, he loved her and he loved it that she was exploring the country but then he was tensed. Riya could easily sway with the crowd and lose her individuality.


“You seem so distant jaan.” Arjun sighed, touching the screen of his laptop.


“Arjun, in your senti mood eh? Miss you too. Ab yeh side effect toh jhelna padega. Aa kyu nahi jaatein yaha?” Riya grumbled. “Riya, it’s been my dream to be a part of CBI, not CSA. So…”


Accha Arjun, I won’t be able to skype you for the next week but I’ll whatsapp so tum apni tension waali roop dhaaran mat karlena!”  Pausing to look aside she stuffed her handbag to find Arjun as still as a stone.


Kya hua?” She raised her eyebrows.


“Baby, you remember what’s day after?”


“What it’s the 5th of Jul… oh fu**... our anniversary!” Riya slapped her forehead while Arjun smiled faintly. “Arjun I am SO sorry! I don’t know how I forgot! Sorry I wouldn’t be able to talk, actually this trip is important because the entire will also include some legends from the theater field and… so sorry love… I” Riya swore repeatedly and hit her head.


“It’s ok baby, it’s just that I’ve sent something to your dorm… love you too.” He looked aside. “Oh you did, you didn’t have to Arjun! Thank you so much! I love you a lot! Will speak to you in a week’s time. Here’s a bunch of kisses and hugs from America!”


Arjun shut his laptop and wiped off the little moisture in his eyes, calming his heart he knew that this was just a side effect of being far away.


Months rolled by and conversations became shorter.


Slowly and gradually neither had anything much to say to the other.


September 2008


“What the f** * Arjun! Maa is saying that you asked for my hand! You know na that I am not going to come to India until I have accomplished my name out here! And I am just in my early twenties, ek baar mujhse toh pooch lete beghair maa se kahe!” Riya blasted as Arjun controlled his temper.


“When are you in front of me that I should ask for anything! And I was just thinking about engagement, I know what are your dreams Riya but you don’t know mine. Not anymore.” Arjun snapped.


“Don’t talk to me in that tone. We still have time, baad main discuss karenge. I am busy now… you tell me, how are you?” Riya asked, working on her script simultaneously.


“Of course Miss. Mukherjee, aapke paas waqt kaha? Either you are acting or studying or working or dancing off to Vegas! You never have the time for me or ask about my life!” Fisting his palm, he worked his tie off as Riya squinted her eyes at him.


“Oh… now I see where’s the problem, your closed mentality can’t take that I’ve gone to Las Vegas with more of men than women… this is how much you trust me?” Riya barked while Arjun closed his eyes.


“Never! I trust and love you from the bottom of my heart! It’s them I don’t trust and I don’t like it when I am not being able to know you anymore!” Arjun vented out.


Throwing her spectacles in anger Riya yelled “Boyfriend ho, baap banne ki koshish mat karo! I know how my life is and if all this is coming in between then we should take a break! I am tired of you, din bhar aur kya baatein karoon?”


Her rant stopped as she saw Arjun’s whitened face. Closing her eyes in regret Riya began “Arjun I didn’t mean…”


“Break? That’s what you want? Fine.” He cut the call.


“F***!” Riya screamed.


January 2009


Riya had apologised and they had come back together, yet the undercurrents were never gone.


Riya cringed at the name of engagement and their relation withered over time.


“I was thinking of visiting the States soon… was wishing if we could, not burdening you of anything but just ad.. advancing our relationship.” Arjun sighed.


“Arjun I really appreciate your thinking but I want to live my life, on my own terms. I have so much more to see and learn, so much more to explore. I don’t want to be burdened by a ring. At least not for the next five to seven years.” Riya said.


“Sure…” Arjun gulped “You’ll be coming to India right after your graduation.”


“Yeah.”


February 2009


“Where are we heading Riya. You just sent me a text message for my birthday!”


“Arjun I was busy, just because I sent you a text it doesn’t mean I love you less… does it mean so?”


“No.”


December 2009


“Riya, weren’t you supposed to come to Mumbai after your graduation?”


“Couldn’t… maa’s like once you reach India toh engagement karke waapis aao and all that crap. So am just skipping…”


“Riya, not for engagement par mere khaatir aa jao.”


Arjun which part of I want to live my life on my own terms you don’t get! I have a job to handle and over that you all have been pressuring me for a commitment I am not ready for!”


“Riya I have stopped asking when I realised you aren’t comfortable.”


“But that doesn’t change that somewhere down the line you’re like I should’ve said yes!”


“Riya tum kya logic nikal rahe ho!”


“See Arjun, you’re a great guy… my best friend too.”


That shook Arjun “Riya what are you trying to say.” His voice trembled as Riya looked detached.


“We don’t fit together anymore Arjun…” Riya whispered, crying helplessly.


“Riya aise mat bolo!” “But Arjun that’s the truth! We’ve been just fighting lately!” Riya explained.


“So you’ll leave me! Just like that!” Arjun snapped. “You’re bullsh****ng Riya!” He raged.


Tears came and the couple cried, but at the end… the relationship collapsed.


And out of revenge he called in for an immediate marriage. His parents were surprised, but comforted him and called in for a wedding.


Riya felt that she was free but she couldn't understand the stinging pain when she learnt of Arjun’s marriage with some Roshni.


---


Present


Sakshi shivered in the sweltering heat, her gazes alternating between her husband and the woman in front.


“Arjun?” Sakshi said as Arjun snapped from the trance, his body stiff and his eyes watery.


“I think I’ll go back to the room to have a shower.” She whispered while her husband merely nodded and handed over the room card.


She stared at his eyes, the intensity of emotions frightening her.


He never looked at her that way.


“Arjun, I’ll leave.” Sakshi whispered, waiting for her husband to look at her and say that he just came across an old acquaintance or even an old flame.


But he didn’t even hear her.


No one did.


Not being able to bear the pain that suddenly rose in her chest, Sakshi ran off to the hotel. She didn’t bother to wipe her tears as she ran as fast as possible, her world couldn’t have been so fragile.


The unfathomable emotions scared her… how had her devotion to him lacked it. The woman had brought along the emotions in a moment which Sakshi failed to bring through years.


Feeling tipsy she fell right onto her bed, slipping into an exhausted sleep.


She never noticed how Arjun suddenly spotted her running away and followed her.


She never noticed the sudden guilt clouding in his eyes when he realised that she was sobbing.


She never noticed how he slipped under the covers and held her fragile form close to his.


He couldn’t stop the waves of shock going through his body, neither could he stop the sudden return of emotions he had for Riya.


Even if they were laced with bitterness.


But he had no right to punish Sakshi for that, she had no reason to fear their bond… no matter how fragile it was.


He patted her repeatedly as she flung her arms around him and held on to him with a possessiveness he never knew of.


He couldn’t break her trust.


Never.


-----


A/N : So here's the chapter! Really looking forward to your comments! Anyone confused by the turn of events... well let's say that all this actually happens. :(

Any form of copying the plot/story is punishable by law.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Poor sakshi! Of course she is insecure! Hope arjun cf an restore the trust back.. awesome story buddy! Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Poor sakshi! Of course she is insecure! Hope arjun cf an restore the trust back.. awesome story buddy! Loving it!

    ReplyDelete